Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Happy? Sleepy? Dopey?...Nope, Grumpy


*Sigh*

It's been a month since my last blog. I'm slacking. Once again. I really do wish that I had something amazingly exciting to write about, but unfortunately I really don't. Although there was a point today that I shocked myself as to how grumpy I am becoming.

So here's the situation. I am at work and the phone rings. I absolutely hate answering the phone at work, because let's face it, the majority of people that call the bank are, how do I put this lightly: annoying and clueless. There I go again. Grumpy. But anyways...The phone rings and to my dismay all others are busy with customers, in the back at the vault, yadda yadda yadda, so I had to answer the phone. I answer in my ultra sticky sweet professional phone voice and brace myself for the usual rude spew coming from the person on the other end of the phone. Instead I get something even more shocking:

"Well helloooo Sarah! How are you doing today?!" says an overly excited and pleasant voice. That instantly annoys me.

"Ummm, I'm fine, you?" I force out. It must be a telemarketer. I must be curt and get him off the phone.

"Greeeattt. Thanks for asking. Could I ask a big favor of you, I am on the 60, in Mesa, could you please find the nearest branch for me?"

What? This is a CUSTOMER? Impossible. He's being extremely nice. Hmmm. Something is up.

"Sure, let me find one, just a moment."

"Thaannkkk you!! I REALLY appreciate it!"

"immune. One moment," and I quickly press the hold button, getting his ultra nice voice out of my ear and subjecting him to the rambling sales pitch of the hold message.

So I find the branch and tell him the phone number.

"Wooooowww, thank you so much. I reeeeeally appreciate it," the customer says in an extremely overly nice way. Annoying.

"You're welcome. Have a great evening," I grumble back.

"You too, thanks again," he is saying as I hang up the receiver.

And do you want to know the immediate thought I had after I hung up? Not, "wow what a pleasant surprise to have a nice customer," or even something simple like, "he was a nice guy." No.

"Psycho," I quietly muttered to myself.

Yes I shamefully admit that's what I muttered under my breath as I hung up the phone. Psycho!! As soon as I said it I mentally slapped myself for being so pessimistic and rude. Mind you, he really was OVERLY nice in a radio announcer sort of way, but STILL! I really didn't used to be this way. You know what made me not like people? People. Working with the general public day in and day out really makes you see the ugliness of people.

My job is making me mean.

Hopefully next blog entry will be more positive and more entertaining.

Night y'all.

3 Comments:

Blogger Chuck said...

TOOOOO freeking funny!!!!! hahahah

I have been there too sarah....hang in there...people suck and will always suck...but at a certain point it wont bother you as much...trust me....hahaha you make me laugh b/c i have said and done the EXACT same things....
chuck

6:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

my job is making me mean too.

7:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can relate to your post, thoroughly. I too work with the public (I'm the front office manager at our town's local newspaper) and about 90% of the town comes through this office week in week out.

People in general have no regard for other's feelings. It's is due to this that I have become rather cynical when it comes to dealing with the public.

You know hat I find the most interesting? It's that the less 'cultured' the person is, usually the more friendly and patient they are - where as my rudest customers are usually those who are supposedly the "cultured" well-to-do citizens in town. Never ceases to amaze me.

11:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home